- George Cheyne. An Essay of Health and Long Life.
- William Buchan. Domestic Medicine.
- Joseph Townsend. Elements of Therapeutics, or Guide to Health . . . .
- Shadrach Ricketson. A Brief History of the Influence that Prevailed in New-York in 1807.
- Shadrach Ricketson. Observations on the Weather and Diseases in the autumn of 1808, in the City of New-York.
- Shadrach Ricketson. Means of Preserving Health and Preventing Diseases.
- John W. Francis. Old New York or Reminiscences of the Past Sixty Years being an enlarged and revised edition of the Anniversary Discourse Delivered before the New York Historical Society, (November 17, 1857.) New York, 1858.
- James Thacher, MD. American Medical Biography or Memoirs of eminent Ohysicians who have Flourished in America. To which is Prefixed a Succinct History of Medical Science in the United States from the First Settlement of the Country. First Published in Boston in 1828. Reprinted by Milford House Inc., New York, 1967.
- Robert Thomas. Modern Practice of Physic exhibiting the Characters, Causes, Symptoms, Prognostic, Morbid Appearances, and Improved Method of Treating the Diseases of All Climates. . . .The Second Amercian Edition, from the London Third Edition, corrected and considerably enlarged, with an Appendix by Edward Miller, M.D., Professor of Practice of Physic in the University of New-York. Collins & Co.: New York, 1813.
Sources for non-text/book images (book figures):
- Static Electric Generator. Stand-up Model. ca. 1768. Anonymous, [ca. 1930] The Greatest Highway in the World. Historical, Industrial and Descriptive Information of the Towns, Cities and Country Passed Through Between New York and Chicago Via the New York Central Lines. Based on the Encyclopaedia Britannica. Page 59 (Image). Accessed on 12.28/09 at www.gutenberg.org/files/27701/27701-h/27701-h.htm.
For more information on electric cure or other electric cure devices, see:
- Albany display on the same, with slide show:
- Perkins Tractors: www.phisick.com/zquack.htm
- The career of Shadrach Ricketson was reviewed as part of the 28th Beaumont Lecture, “Some landmarks in preventive medicine,” presented at Yale University School of Medicine, 6 December 1963.
Chapter 4. Food and Diet
Other medical books Ricketson may have come in contact with regarding longevity include:
- James Easton. Human Longevity. (Salisbury, J. Easton, 1799). A review of indviiduals in England with exceptionally long lives (>100).
Chapter 11. Vaccination/Inoculation
- Peter Plett. [Peter Plett and other discoverers of cowpox vaccination before Edward Jenner] Sudhoffs Arch. 2006 ;90 (2):219-32.
- F. Reich. [Peter Plett, a forerunner of Jenner; contribution to the history of vaccination.] Medizinische. 1953 Apr 11;21 (15):520-1.
- http://lib.bioinfo.pl/find?field=Papers&query=Peter+Plett, accessed on 12/31/09.